Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Getting Started

One reader of another blog of mine was asking "How do you get committed to starting your day off with exercise?". It's not easy, especially the older we are because habits are more ingrained as we age. That means two things: 1. The older I am, the more commitment it will take to change and 2. It's easier to change NOW rather than later when I have more years of bad habit behind me!

But, as I've said before in this blog, nothing happens without a "why". The "why" has to be big enough to make someone change and to keep the new change in effect long enough for it to become a habit, because it is one of nature's laws that only a habit can subdue another habit.

So, what are your reasons? If they're big enough, nothing will stop you. If I tell you to run into a burning house to see if someone is in there, you might question my reasoning. If however, I told you your most cherished loved one was in there, the "why" just got big enough in most cases to create action.

In our office we teach an exercise on how to create the why, and how to use it to force change, and to make the new change become the new habit. Call us to schedule a time to learn how to create and use your own "why"!

No comments:

Post a Comment